Radon Measurement in Kansas City

Radon Measurement icon.

Radon has no taste or smell and is invisible. Radon exposure does not produce, in the early stages, physically noticeable symptoms that would let someone know that they are being exposed to it. For these reasons, radon is considered a very dangerous environmental problem. If you lived in the same home or worked in the same office for many years, even low levels of radon, in these places, has the potential to cause health problems. Testing for radon will give you the awareness to make the right decision for you and your loved ones health.

Radon (Rn) is a naturally occurring radioactive element in the noble gas family of the periodic table. It is created by the natural breakdown of uranium in the soil. As a gas, radon moves up through the ground and into the air, water, homes and buildings. In Kansas City and the Surrounding area across Kansas and Missouri, on average, 1 and 3 homes will have a high level of radon

Indoor radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the United States and breathing it over prolonged periods can present a significant health risk to families all over the country...

Dr. Carmona; Surgeon Generals Health Advisory on Radon, January 13, 2005

Through many studies, all over the U.S, the EPA has deemed that homes with a radon concentration at 4pC1/L (picocuries per liter) or higher, to be unsafe and action to reduce this level should be taken. Radon exposure in homes and other indoor environments is the leading cause of lung cancer in non-smokers and the 2nd leading cause in smokers. Studies suggest that the developing lungs of children are especially sensitive to radon exposure. Also, with a respiratory rate twice the rate of an adult, a child will have twice the exposure toradon as an adult over the same period of exposure. Any indoor environment that a human will spend a significant amount of time, should be tested for radon.